Many people today do not like the boring routine of an office and like to work from home or do freelance work. When you do freelance work, you take work from clients and do it according to the deadlines provided to you. This is not a 9 to 9 office job but a job where you are given a deadline of a few hours or days depending on the work. One can do Freelance work from home also and the timings can be very flexible. However it is not always rosy as deadlines can be really demanding and there is no such thing as a weekly holiday.
Freelance Web Design
Many web designers today, instead of working for a design firm are interested in Freelance Web Design. The following are tips for everything you need to know and keep in mind when you start a career as a freelance web designer:
- Freelancing is not as easy as it sounds. One must have a tremendous amount of discipline for being a freelance web designer. Many people need the office routine and like to deliver the job handed to them. In freelance web design one has to find work and deliver it on time. There is a lot more responsibility involved.
- Try different things and do not just stick to a single area of work that is web design. When you become a freelance web designer you have the freedom to diversify your business in areas related to web design like WordPress, copywriting, content writing, CMS, logo design and other related fields.
- Management is very important when it comes to freelancing of any sort and especially freelance web design. You must know your capacity when you take work. Handling multiple clients, addressing their queries and needs, plus delivering the web design project on time is a challenge. As you are not in an office environment all this responsibility is on your shoulder as a freelance web designer. Create a routine and stick to it or freelancing will be very difficult without proper work discipline.
- Marketing yourself is very important. Make useful contacts in the business for referrals, send portfolio or CV to known clients, become a member of some web design association, post advertisements online as well as locally, as local businesses may need web designers to start their websites and win over clients with quality web design proposals.
- Create an identity and a business name for yourself because this is how the clients will remember you. By creating a good brand name or logo for your own business, you will be able to create a brand for yourself. Also hire a tax advisor as especially in the U.S, a self employed person with a small business the tax formalities are different from salaried employees.
- Know yourself and know the quality of work that you can provide. Also know what kind of monthly income you are looking at while doing freelance web design. Accordingly decide the rates that you offer to the clients.
The above are few points one needs to consider while deciding a freelance web design career.